My first rule of mentoring is to create a safe place for both the author and the work to go on a journey to help create the best version of the work. I stay in-tune with the author’s vision through the process.
I approach from a curious place. What is this work? What does it want to be? What is working extremely well? What would make it work even better to make the story the best it can be? I examine things such as the overall arc of the plot, characterization, embodied setting, voice and much more.
I look at what is the strengths of the writer and how can it be capitalized on that? Where does this book fit in the wide landscape of literary world? What would make it stand out in the marketplace that only this author could do? What is unique about the work? What is the unique gift of the author?
I also look at the book through the lens of the reader. What would confuse them? (Not that everything needs to be understood, but at least let the reader have a general idea of what is going on.) What will engage the reader even more? Is the story fully developed? What could be done to make this the most engaging tale possible?
I love helping authors make their work, their career, and their vision sing.
Your personalized mentoring/coaching program can include, but is not limited to:
- Unlimited access via email for brainstorming, coaching, specific questions and regular check-ins,
- Regular private coaching check-ins by phone 2x a month with line edits if requested (schedule and time to be mutually agreed on)
- Reviews of sections of your revised manuscript with feedback targeted to take you to the next step with your story, tailored to your current goals,
- Suggested books craft and fiction that can help you develop the craft techniques that you are trying to accomplish
- A writing schedule to complete your draft or edits with prompts to remind you of deadlines and regular check-ins to help keep you on track
Tips on time management that will be tailor-fit to your personality
Coaching and brainstorm path options for your writing career.
This program is not a workshop or class but those elements may be present at the discretion of the mentor based on the needs of the students. Students should be prepared to engage in regular discussions with the mentor in order to get the best out of this experience.
I am an author of 27 books and been a creative coach for the past 18 years. I will bring all my years of experience to your goals as a writer and help support you to get where you want to go.