Are You a Near-Sighted Business Owner or a Far-Sighted Business Owner?
A successful businesswoman was the envy of many in her field and had all the work that she wanted without advertising. People flocked to her by referrals. Her current clientele was loyal and not wanting to go anywhere else.
But she had a huge regret concerning in her business, though. It wasn’t the work itself. She loved that. What she regretted was that she hadn’t set herself up for the future. She is now getting close to retirement and needs to continue to work. Years earlier she had thought about bringing someone else onto her team to learn the craft, her methods and the things that made her successful, but she never got around to it. She could have groomed a person to take over her business once she wanted to retire.
Because she didn’t bring anyone onboard at that time, she is now faced with having to work and has no one with her qualifications to refer the work to when she gets tired. She regrets not giving herself the ability to make money without having to do the physical work. Even though it would have taken more work and focus to set this up early in her career––she would have had to take away from the time-in time-out model––she would have been in a lot better position now.
Hint: if your work is going well, examine it.
- Is this the model you want to be working at five, ten, twenty years from now? If not, what can you do to change the model so that in the future you don’t have to work so hard?
- Do you need to bring on someone else? Do you need to get your business on the Internet?
- Do you have another passive income stream that needs to be put in place?
- Do you need to create a policy and procedure manual so that others can follow your system?
- A great way to look at this is to decide what needs to be in place if you had to go to the hospital, on vacation, or take time off. If so, would it affect your bottom line?
Some think I am crazy when I talk like this. They say that they do all the work and that is the way it is. If they don’t show up and work, there is no way to make money. I challenge you, if your business is doing well, give some real thought to what you could put in place in your business model so that you don’t always have to be there. Think about it. There are some answers if you look long enough.
I have been helping entrepreneurs and business owners grow their business and balance the needs of home for over 18 years. Being a mother of 8, author of 20 books, former radio show host, and an award winning speaker, I can show you that balance and success is not only possible but vital to make more money, have more free time to be there for your family. Claim my free gift and Discover how to Grow Your Business on Your Own Terms Today at http://BizOnYourTerms.com
© Step It Up Enterprises, Inc
Step It Up Queen Blog